Meet the 2020 Small Business Award Finalists
The Springfield Area Chamber of Commerce announces five finalists, one of which will be the winner of the 2020 W. Curtis Strube Small Business Award.
By Jenna deJong
Oct 08 2020 at 11 a.m.
The results are finally in: The Springfield Area Chamber of Commerce announced five finalists today for its annual Small Business Award, otherwise known as the W. Curtis Strube Small Business Award. The lineup includes Academy of Hair Design, Inc., Burgess Aircraft Management, LLC doing business as Oz Air Charter Service, Local Marketing Giant, LLC doing business as OMG Commerce, Pearson-Kelly Technology and Volt Credit Union.
The finalists for the annual award are usually announced in March but the coronavirus postponed normal operations. “Small businesses have always been vital to our economy, and that’s never been truer than it is right now,” Matt Morrow, president of the Chamber, says in a press release. “These companies are amazing examples of the resilience of the people who keep these small businesses going through all kinds of adversity, and we’re thrilled to be able to honor them.”
The finalists will be celebrated at the Chamber’s virtual Good Morning, Springfield! on November 5, and the winner will be announced at the virtual Small Business Award event on November 11. The event will be streamed from the Oasis Hotel & Convention Center. (Editor’s Note: Biz 417 is the presenting sponsor of the event.)
According to the Chamber’s website, previous winners of this award have included Mostly Serious, Askinosie Chocolate, TLC Properties, Ozarks Food Harvest and Rick’s Automotive.
More About the Finalists:
• Academy of Hair Design, Inc., founded in 1996, trains and prepares professionals for the beauty and barbering industry. They offer training in barbering, cosmetology, esthetics and manicuring, and operate a full-service salon with services performed by students.
• Burgess Aircraft Management, LLC (dba Ozair Charter Service) was established in 2007 to provide jet charter service from Springfield. The company operates a fleet of nine jets and flies anywhere in the continental U.S., Alaska, Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean.
• Local Marketing Giant, LLC (dba OMG Commerce), has positioned itself as a thought leader in the eCommerce industry. Since being founded in 2010, OMG Commerce has grown from a focus on Google Maps optimization to advertising for companies with Google, YouTube and Amazon.
• Pearson-Kelly Technology, founded in 2002, has grown and expanded its focus over the years from print and copier sales to holistic technology consulting, sales and service. They also now act as a managed service provider and offer IT solutions for clients.
• Volt Credit Union was originally founded in 1935 as the Springfield MFA Employees Credit Union. It has expanded its service area and changed names a few times over the years, most recently being called Community Financial Credit Union before rebranding as Volt in June 2018.
Explore Related Stories
Women in Business
Southwest Missouri Businesses That are Powered by Women
Meet the local leaders who are moving their respective businesses forward.mar 2023 | Companies, Leadership, Native Content, People
Give Your Business an Edge
Attend these 5 events to network and grow with local business leaders just like you.sep 19 2018 | Business Services, Companies, Entrepreneur, Networking
Meet the Finalists: Springfield Area Chamber of Commerce's 2019 Small Business Award
A wide variety of businesses are included in the mix, ranging from chiropractors to coffee experts. The winner will be announced on May 8.mar 26 2019 | Business Services, Coffee, Companies, Consulting